Tuesday, July 26, 2011

quinoa summer salad

As you know summer is in full swing and so are squeezing in workouts as often as I can, mostly because 1. it's bikini season and 2. I found the best fitness studio a few blocks from my house. Healthy eating and healthy living go hand in hand, so as my workouts have gotten more intense, I've been trying to experiment more with new and different foods to compliment. My favorite so far is quinoa, an ancient grain discovered by the Incas that is normally incorporated in South American cuisine. Quinoa is very similar to rice or cous cous and is fairly high in protein for a grain. It is good served either hot or cold, as a salad or a side dish. Ultimately, it's the best of both worlds, carbs and protein!

The best part is, I found this wonderful video that shows you how to cook it and was completely convinced to try it. Take a peek... you'll want to try it too!









This is my favorite way to prepare quinoa: For a tastier quinoa instead of using water, use chicken broth, it brings out more flavor. Served cold with chopped tomatoes and cucumber or zucchini and lightly drizzle with olive oil. Definitely my kind of summer salad.

(video from mynewroots, image source)

No comments:

Post a Comment