Thursday, December 29, 2011

oh nutmeg

Even though the holidays are over, I still have a large box of cookies left over that I can't seem to part with. Holiday cookies are one of my favorite things and I suppose it's something that I like to savor a little after the holiday madness is over. One of the more fun cookies to make is what my family calls nutmeg logs. It's kind of like playing with play dough, you get to roll the dough out into long strips and cut them into little logs. You then frost them with powdered sugar frosting and scrap it to look like wood. Check it out for yourself.





nutmeg logs

sift 3 cups flour and 1 tsp nutmeg. cream 1 cup butter and 3/4 cup sugar. blend in 1 egg and 2 tsp vanilla.  gradually add the ingredients and mix well. shape dough into long rolls about 1/2 '' diameter. cut into 3'' lengths and place on un-greased baking sheet. bake until light brown 12-15 minutes at 350 degrees. cool and frost with powdered sugar frosting. mark frosting with fork to resemble bark. sprinkle with nutmeg. 


No comments:

Post a Comment