Tuesday, May 8, 2012

chopped broccoli salad


My mom instilled in me when I was a kid to always eat my veggies. Of course there were a few disagreements on which ones were tastier than others (brussels sprouts have never been on my good side) However, for the most part I enjoy tasty veggies. One of my all-time favorites is broccoli. I remember being told as a kid that they were mini trees, so naturally I ate as many as I could in one sitting. With Spring in fully swing and summer not far around the corner, I have been trying to eat up as many veggies as I can to get in shape. The one thing I cannot get enough of lately is this chopped broccoli salad. I first discovered this at a local gourmet grocer and decided to whip up a batch at home. I've basically been making a big batch every week! It's THAT good!




chopped broccoli salad

ingredients:
1 bag of broccoli florets
1/2 cup of sunflower seeds (or as many as you'd like, they add a nice crunch)
3/4 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup mayo
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
1/4 cup sugar
salt & pepper
** other variations include red onions and bacon. add what you like! 

In a medium bowl, mix chopped broccoli, sunflower seeds and cranberries. In separate small bowl mix, mayo, red wine vinegar, sugar and salt and pepper. (I added less mayo and sugar to the dressing to cut down on extra fat) Add dressing to salad and chill. Enjoy! 


No comments:

Post a Comment